StatCounter

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

2 for 1 "Two Memorials of Battery Park" entry.

First of all - I KNOW I skipped a night! It was the first night I've skipped since I started the blog but I have a fairly decent excuse.  I flew back to NYC from Florida last night and my flight was delayed by several hours so we did not land until midnight and I was working this morning so my head hit the pillow ASAP.  I still haven't even unpacked!

I'm just going to write a really quick two-in one blog here about two memorials in Battery Park.

The first one is the "East Coast Memorial."  If you've ever been to Battery Park you've probably seen the "huge eagle" statue.  (It is also coincidentally next to my favorite hot dog stand but that is besides the point.)  This memorial actually honors the 4601 missing American Servicemen who lost their lives in the Atlantic Ocean during World War II.  Around the eaglye or 8 massive gray granite slabs on which the names, rank, and organization of the deceased are carved.  The eagle standing between these slaves is gripping a laurel wreath in its talons which suggests it is mourning over the watery grave of these brave soliders.  The monument was dedicated by the then president, JFK, on May 23, 1963.

The second monument is the "American Merchant Mariners Memorial."  Now I did not know what a "Merchant Mariner" was.  So I looked it up.  (It's what us curious and questioning folk do.)  The Merchant Marine is a fleet of ships (some of which are civilian) which carries imports and exports during peacetime and serve as a naval auxiliary during war time.

The American Merchant Mariners Memorial is a really innovative sculpture based on photos of a real life event.  During WWII, a Nazi U-boat attacked a merchant mariner vessel and took photos as their victims struggled to save their boat and their lives.  You can actually see great photos of the memorial here. https://plus.google.com/115284646709679397918/about?gl=us&hl=en

My favorite aspect of this memorial is that it is subject to the tides.  During low tide you can see a marine struggling, reaching up towards his comrades on the ship.  As the tide rises, the mariner disappears, its as if we can witness him drowning.  This makes the sculpture a very active very tense memorial to the brave merchant mariners including 6,700 merchant mariners who lost their lives in WWI and WWII.


So there is your two for one.  I hope you can make it to Battery Park to see these memorials.  There are so many beautiful memorials but these are two of my favorites.

You can learn more about all of the memorials here.  http://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/batterypark/highlights/page/1

No comments:

Post a Comment