StatCounter

Friday, October 4, 2013

Zelda the Turkey


I SAW ZELDA THE TURKEY!  This is an extremely exciting event for me as I have never seen a wild turkey before.  I actually have gone out seeking wild turkeys, but they always elude me. I had heard tale of a female turkey named Zelda who roamed the Battery.  Several other tour guides posts photos of Zelda, but others claimed she was a myth.  Then, yesterday, I saw her with my own two eyes!  She was just sitting across from the East Coast Memorial, calmly observing the scenery of Battery Park.  She is not an urban legend, Zelda is real.  

Zelda gets her name from Zelda Fitzgerald, F. Scott Fitzgerald's wife.  Their tempestuous marriage combine with Zelda's penchant for alcohol caused Zelda to have several meltdowns, as well as be admitted into mental hospitals on multiple occasions.  During one of her meltdowns she found herself several miles from home in Battery Park.  This incident is what inspired those who first spotted the turkey in Battery Park Zelda.  

It is thought that Zelda entered Manhattan through the Bronx in 2003 before taking up residence in the Battery. She has been spotted as far north as TriBeCa, but is always returned to the Battery.  

If you are interested in learning more - you can read this Q&A article published in the New York Times  in 2009.  Enjoy!:)

  

No comments:

Post a Comment