StatCounter

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Sample Sales - a true NY Shopping Experience


I have a problem.  I LOVE expensive clothing.  I mean - I LOOOOOOOOOVE it.  Burberry, Alice + Olivia, Carolina Herrera, Dolce and Gabbana, Loro Piana, anything that is sparkly with ornate beading and soft delicate material fills me with happiness.  I am also an out of work actress who tour guides for a living.  This is not at all conducive to buying designer brands.  So what is a girl to do?  GO TO SAMPLE SALES!!!!!

Sample Sales are always happening in NYC.  You can read about upcoming and current sample sales on http://ny.racked.com.  What are sample sales you ask?  They are sales used by retailers to discard excess merchandise.  Here’s the thing, designers don’t actually like donating their clothing to places like homeless shelters because it isn’t good for their brand image to have homeless people walking around in their clothing. It’s a cruel truth.  Often what these designers will do is just send leftover products to an incinerator.  They destroy the clothing.  It breaks my heart to imagine all those beautiful Burberry coats just being burned alive. Occasionally designers will send the merchandise to outlets stores or department store discount branches such as Saks off Fifth or Nordstrom’s Rack.  If you are in NYC, however, and want super discounts, you can make your way to a “sample sale.”  They can be found at pop-up store locations throughout the city.  Designers will put up left over merchandise at extreme discounts for people to buy.  Occasionally they will also sell damaged goods to be sold “as is” at even greater discounts. 

I discovered the wonder of sample sales after I fell in love with a $1000 Alice + Olivia outfit at Bloomingdales.  Looking for ways to purchase this outfit without spending a month’s salary, I fortuitously stumbled upon a five day long Alice + Olivia sample sale happening in the city that week.  I had no idea how sample sales worked.  Boy was I in for a shock!

First of all, these pop-up stores are NOTHING like Saks Fifth Avenue.  They are essentially warehouse spaces with racks and racks of barely organized products.   They are somewhat organized by size.  However, ravenous shoppers scouring the racks quickly devoid the sale of any sense of order.  You are only allowed to bring ten items into the “dressing room” at a time, and if you need another size, you’re out of luck.  There is no friendly sales lady to help you.  You will have to leave the dressing room, and wait in the dressing room line again.  These dressing room lines are unlike any lines you see in department stores. The lines wrap around the store.  You can wait up to 20 minutes to get into the dressing room.  When you finally do get into the “dressing room” it’s a crowded communal area where approximately 20 people are basically on top of each other trying on cloths and fighting for a peek in one of four mirrors.    You are so cramped together you often get elbowed, poked, and prodded by other sample sale vultures.   The brave people working the sample sale constantly run into the dressing room area and shout at you to hurry up, reminding you there is a long line outside.  The environment could not be more stressful.  For many, the stress is worth it.  Why you ask?  Well, because you can buy a $500 dress for $129.  A $1747 ball gown for $200.  A $400 skirt for $40.  The discounts are unbeatable.

I went to the Alice + Olivia winter sample sale yesterday.  This was my second Alice + Olivia sample sale so I knew what to expect.  I’m not necessarily the best at putting outfits together, and usually depend on friendly department store workers to help me figure out which skirt goes with which shirt.  At sample sales there is none of that.  So I studied up on Alice + Olivia outfits. Every sample sale you go to will be different, but with Alice + Olivia they offer clothes from the current season, last season, and the season before.  I went on their website and saw how they put outfit outfits together so when I got to the sale I would know what to look for on the racks.  I also tried on several items from this season’s collections at Saks Fifth Avenue, so I knew what size to look for.  I recommend anyone going to any sample sale do this.  When you get to the sale, people will be pushing you out of the way to find clothing on racks, and the better you know what you are looking for the better you will fare.  I also knew I had to myself zen in the dressing rooms and to not let people yelling, pushing, or trying to steal clothing off my rack bother me.  At the end of the day, I left with four new outfits, the total cost being less than one regularly priced Alice + Olivia skirt.  It took three hours with all the waiting in the dressing area lines, but I would say it was worth it.

So here’s the thing – people come to New York and constantly ask me where they can find outlet malls or great shopping deal.  They are often directed to Woodbury Commons in NJ.  Now it always strikes me as silly that you would fly from Australia in NY to go to an outlet mall in NJ, but people love a bargain.  If you want the best bargains, and a true unique New York experience, get thee to a sample sale!  You will see crazy New York personalities (there was a woman who spent the entire three hours I was there standing in front of one of the mirrors in a silver shiny coat and was still there when I left!), you will get designer brands at unbeatable prices, and you can’t get this experience any place other than NYC.  For the savvy shopper, sample sales are the way to go.  However, if you want lovely helpful sales ladies who offer you water and fashion advice while you shop to pleasing elevator music in flattering lighting, just go to Saks.  

Preview of the dresses I bought at the Alice + Olivia Sample Sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment