StatCounter

Sunday, June 23, 2013

17 State Street - AKA the building with a crown.

I must and will get a good photo of 17 State Street.  I talk about it a lot on my boat tours, but I never actually know what to call the building.  We usually talk about the Elizabeth Ann Seton Shrine, and use the "blue curved skyscraper with a white ladder pattern climbing up it" as a landmarked, but not a site in and of itself.  Then I had a couple on the boat that asked about the pretty building with a crown on the top - and I realized I had no idea what it was.  So time to find out!

It is a 41 story high skyscraper designed by Emery Roth and Sons.  (Emery Roth and Sons also designed the El Dorado on the US that is often featured in Central Park Tours!)  The bottom floor is actually a museum that I now desperately want to visit.  I never even knew it existed.  It is N urban archeology museum known as New York Unearthed.  You can read more about it here.  and has approximately 2 MILLION artifacts from local excavation sites!   Other tenants include: Fidessa (A finance software company), Georgeson Shareholders,  IPSoft, Hudson Insurance Group, Varick Asset Management, Neville Peterson, LLP, Wechsler & Cohen LLP, and AXA.  

Is a "modern high-rise" skyscraper made of glass, steel, aluminum, carbon-fibre, and reinforced concrete.  It was completed in 1988 and stands at 541 feet.  

No comments:

Post a Comment