StatCounter

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The Burberry Tower

If I had my way, I would have an entire walk-in closet dedicated to Burberry coats, jackets, capes, and vests.  I sadly do not have this, but I am lucky enough to have two BEAUTIFUL Burberry coats.  This makes myself the butt of quite a few jokes since Burberry is not exactly a brand that a "starving artist" should be wearing around town.  I am lucky to have a fairy godmother.  But enough my Burberry coats and on to the Burberry Tower.

Every time I go up Madison Avenue I see a tall tower that says BURBERRY on it.  I get excited but I never knew WHY it said Burberry.  Now I do.

In 2009, Burberry moved its New York headquarters to 444 Madison Avenue between 49th and 50th street.  (this actually is conveniently right next to Saks Fifth Avenue.)  Burberry signed a lease for floors  13-16 for 15 years, replacing New York magazine that inhabited that space until 2009.  (They moved down toe 1 Hudson Square.)

Inside these offices Burberry houses 14,000 square feet worth of showroom space!  (I'm not drooling AT ALL.)

Burberry scored this space because Westbrook Partners, who bought this 1931 building in 2007, wanted a well-known client in the building.  They wanted a well known reputable company because 444 Madison Avenue is one of the only skyscrapers left in New York that is allowed to have illuminated signage on top of the building.    City zoning laws currently forbid such signage, but 444 Madison Avenue slips through a loophole using a grandfather clause.  As such, Westbrook Partners wanted to take advantage by having the signage on top of the building be classy.  What could be more classy than Burberry?  (Nothing in my opinion.)

Even though Burberry's lease on 1350 Avenue of the Americas didn't expire until 2011, they leaped at the opportunity to move to 444 Madison.  Eugenia Ulasewicz, the president of Burberry's American branch, said: We’re a brand, and how often does it come along that you have a building you can brand with your name on it?”

So the building, which they rent for about $95 a square foot, carries Burberry's name via an illuminated sign on three sides of the building.  The hope is that more people like me will call it the "Burberry Building," but I wonder how many people are more interested in the fact that underneath the Burberry logo the time and temperature are displayed.  

The branding of the building, however, is the reason Burberry moved.  Despite being only one avenue east of Fifth Avenue, Madison avenue isn't exactly the shopping epicenter of Manhattan.  If you want high end shops, you go to Fifth, not Madison.  The opportunity to have a tall tower with the company's name on it, however, proved irresistable.  In my opinion, it was a smart move and makes me smile everytime I'm on Madison.

I would also like to point out that my entry about a Burberry sign is about three times as long as my entry about FDNY Rescue 1.  I think I need to re-evaluate my priorities.

Here is a view of the "Burberry Tower" as seen from the bus I was riding today!:)  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment