StatCounter

Friday, June 28, 2013

Bloomberg Tower

Until I read that it was lit up rainbow colored for Pride week - I had no idea the Bloomberg Tower even existed.  (worst tour guide in NYC - I know….)

So I decided to rectify my ignorance and look it up.  So here we go - the Bloomberg Tower.

It is located at 731 Lexington Avenue (between 58 and 59 streets).  Construction began in 2001 and the building opened in 2004.  It houses Bloomberg L.P., retail stores, restaurants, and several residences known as "One Beacon Court."

The tower is the 15th tallest in NYC and the 46th tallest in the U.S. for those of you into tall buildings.  It's 806 feet and 55 stories tall.  

The most random fun fact i could find is that it came in 10th place in the 2005 "Emporis SkyScraper Award" contest.  You can visit the Emporis Page to learn more about the awards - I must say I say some pretty cool skyscrapers there.  But if you aren't feeling like clicking on a link - here is how the website describes the awards: 

The Emporis Skyscraper Award is the only prize for high-rise buildings awarded annually and on a global basis. Nominees and winners are chosen by Emporis editors, who are architecture experts from all over the world. Since 2000, the award has been given to recognize excellence in both aesthetic and functional design.
Also - while it is lit up rainbow for the Pride, the only information I can find about the actual light is that they were designed by Cline Bettridge Bernstein Lighting Design - who also designed the lights on top of the Time Warner Center Towers. 

And here is a link to a beautiful photo of their Pride light design - it's pretty gorgeous if you ask me!:)  http://www.flickr.com/photos/46871223@N00/9161677409/

1 comment:

  1. Most of the time I don’t make comments on websites, but I'd like to say that this article really forced me to do so. Really nice post!
    Wall Lights

    ReplyDelete